- Have a common or a strange instrument and want to know how to make chords on it?
- Want to be surprised by smart fingering alternatives that you never thought of?
- Want to experiment with tuning your strings differently?
Much more than a chord finder, a universal chord computer that knows the preferences of humans! ChordLab shows you easy and great-sounding fingerings (tabs) for any chord, for any fretted string instrument (chordophone), real or imaginary, and for any tuning you wish.
No matter if it's a Guitar or a Chinese Liuqin... No matter if it's a Mariachi Vihuela, an Italian Chitarra Battente, or even an instrument invented by you! No matter if it's with a standard tuning or any tuning you decide to experiment with. ChordLab is the expert for every situation.
• Choose from many predefined or custom instruments.
• With a few taps, you can change the tuning of any instrument.
• If it's not there yet, create your own instrument in just a few seconds!
• Choose from 288 chord combinations, including anything from basic chords to folk and jazz chords.
• ChordLab instantly shows you the right fingerings (tabs) with lots of smart alternatives that may surprise you!
• On the top you will see the fingerings/tabs that are easiest and will sound better on your instrument.
• You can duplicate, save, and delete instruments.
• Screen layout optimized for phone, small tablet and big tablet (see screenshots or video).
• No ads! No permissions or internet connection required!
ChordLab is an intelligent universal (multi-instrument and multi-tuning) chord finder that incorporates human preferences in the process of creating tabs. It works for any (real or imaginary) commonly fretted chordophone (string instrument). Commonly fretted chordophones are characterized by having frets in one semitone intervals that start at a common position (called nut).
The example instruments and tunings already present when app is installed:
• Guitar - Standard, Drop D and Irish DADGAD tunings
• Bass Guitar
• Portuguese Guitar
• Mandola and Mandocello
• Ukulele and Banjolele - Standard and Ancient tunings
• Trichordo, Tetrachordo and Irish Bouzouki
• Tenor Banjo - Standard and Irish tunings
• Plectrum Banjo
• Lute (Spanish Laúd) and Bandurria
• Cavaquinho - Standard and Ancient tunings
• Mexican Vihuela
• Jarana Huasteca
Feel free to email the developer regarding any question or suggestion.
The app is for free for the moment...
The basic idea being to transfer sound into standard notation.
Did try it a little bit just playing some piano music from Youtube and it seems that it is possible with some effort to get it to recognize some of the music.
Do not have the energy to spend time with it, but it is for free so why not try it?
"Note Recognition & Audio Speed Changer - Convert Music into Sheet Music" is a note detection & audio speed changer app that converts music into an alternative sheet music. It helps you learning new songs by displaying sheet music suggestions for the recorded audio and provides you the functionality to change the audio speed and slow down your recorded music ("audio slow motion"). It's perfect for musicians who want to write down their own songs or who want to learn new songs and don't know how to play them.
The note analyzer works with pitch detection and frequency analysis (like FFT Fast Fourier Transformation for example) and is perfect for musicians (especially vocal and guitar or piano players). The note analyzer listens to your music, analyzes it's pitch and converts your music back into an alternative sheet music. You can use it to detect the notes of your songs (note identification, the app helps you creating a transcription), validate the pitch of your voice, sing into the microphone and use it as a vocal trainer or to transcribe your songs while playing along with your guitar (or whichever instrument you are playing). And of course, you can also use the note recognition app as a simple audio / voice recorder.
This note detector won't extract 100% of the played notes but depending on the quality of the signal the note detection algorithm will do a good job and will give you useful sheet music suggests. Because the detector can't separate multiple instruments you will get the best results if just one instrument is playing simultaneously or if you record your voice without any background music. Also, you should place your phone in front of your instrument, your voice or your speakers to improve the detection quality.
Please note that the note recognition algorithm performs intense mathematical calculations and it will take some time to analyze your recorded audio.
To be fair, here's what this app is NOT able to do:
This app has no specific chord recognition algorithm and therefore won't detect any chords! Don't play multiple notes simultaneously!
Separation of multiple instruments
The note recognition can't separate multiple instruments. If you record multiple instruments playing simultaneously you will get bad detection results!
Live note recognition
This app is not able to show you live note recognition results. Instead, it will take some time to perform the frequency analysis and show you the results.
Real sheet music
This app is not able to show you real sheet music. Instead, it works with an alternative sheet music displayed at the screenshots.
100% match percentage
This app won't detect 100% of the played notes and there will also be wrong detections. But depending on the quality of the input signal it will give you useful suggests!
The audio speed change functionality provides two music speed factors: 2x and 4x (as slow as normal). If you use this functionality, the note recognition app will zoom into the music score to make it easier for you. Mostly, it's recommended to change music speed if you want to analyze very fast songs because the sheet music gets illegible. Also, by changing the speed of your audio record you'll be able to identify very fast notes easy by ear.
Having bad note detection results sometimes? Try to open the settings and adjust the detail level at which it shall detect notes and convert music into notes.
The note detection was tested with guitar, piano and vocal but should work with every instrument as long as it plays notes above B1 (61,7 Hz) and convert music to sheet music.
- A web app where you can upload your analyzed sheet music, edit it and convert it into MIDI.
Composer creates and composes original music and songs with melodies and drum beats, through random algorithms, up to 60 minutes length. Without the need of any musical skill .
Composer offers you 128 high quality instruments, 24 melodic styles and a range of user configurations or presets, so you can start composing your music immediately.
Composer's beatbox, with more than 30 percussion instruments, offers you 64 drum beats with 64 variations, sorted by type of rhythm and style.
Save your music in Midi File format, which is playable on any digital device. Save your favorite configurations in preset format, keeping all settings done.
Never has it been so easy to create your own music and share it with your friens on social networks.
Use your own music created by Composer, as soundtrack for your videos, slideshows, theater, performances or even as Muzak for shops, exhibitions, etc.
If you are a musical composer or a keen on song-writing, use Composer as help and inspiration when when your muse fails you.
For the pro musician, import to and edit your music with any musical sequencer.
After seeing the demo video and reading the reviews this one seems to work pretty good.
It writes melodies or harmonies that works for one or the other letting it run for awhile there will be things that will be pleasing.
So if having problems writing melodies or find harmony that works with the melodies that is already there, maybe take a look at this?
Also comes with a decent amount of functions and am tempted to get it but have this strange pride whispering cheater in my inner ear...
Now on sales for 3009 European pennies...
Melody Engineer is a melody auto-composition app. It helps composing melodies and accompanying harmony. No matter if you are a professional musician or just music enthusiast it will help you think out of the box and unlock your creativity.
This is extended version of free app Melody Engineer Lite - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyokovsolutions.melodyengineerlite
with many additional features:
- save melody and harmony as midi and text file
- change number of notes up to 64
- harmonize melody - auto compose new harmony chords over existing melody
- AUTO MODE - when this mode is active then composed melody is repeatedly played and auto composed every 4 cycles and the good melodies can be saved while listening
- open saved melody
- many more scales
- AUTO COMPOSER advanced method
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE COMPOSER
- option to auto compose chords in auto mode
- control melody range
- transpose melody up and down
- expand and shrink melody
There are two methods for composition:
- manual - you select notes and chords
- automatic - using the AUTO COMPOSER that chooses "right" notes and chords for you.
The COMPOSE ALL app feature creates a new melody and accompanying harmony from scratch. You can use this feature as fresh ideas generator and then tweak the melody.
AUTO MODE - when active the melody is autocomposed every 4 (changeable in Settings) cycles. During playing you can save the composed melody via Save button.
Three types of AUTO MODE are available:
1. When AUTO MODE is active and COMPOSE ALL is selected then both melody and harmony will be autocomposed every 4 cycles. The text below button PLAY will show "AUTO ALL".
2. When AUTO MODE is active and COMPOSE NOTES is selected then melody only will be autocomposed every 4 cycles. The text below button PLAY will show "AUTO NOTES".
3. When AUTO MODE is active and COMPOSE CHORDS is selected then harmony only will be autocomposed every 4 cycles. The text below button PLAY will show "AUTO CHORDS".
The notes and chords are changed using the drop down menus for each note. You can choose to listen for both melody and harmony or only one of them using check boxes in app control menu.
If you want to auto compose some notes of melody just check them and press Auto Compose button. Then the notes will be composed for you.
See video demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFki1tDvtvo
How can you use it:
1. Select tempo, note scale and note length.
2. Create melody rhythm by checking the checkboxes below the notes. Play rhythm and tweak it if needed.
3. Press COMPOSE NOTES button to generate the notes for selected rhythm.
4. Listen to melody repeatedly and tweak the notes manually or with the help of auto composer by leaving the notes targeted for change checked.
5. Add harmony accompaniment
You can select:
- note length - 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32
- tempo (beats per minute)
- scale (major/minor)
The melody consists of up to 16 notes of selected scale.
You can play melody, harmony or rhythm by checking corresponding check boxes.
The individual notes are chosen using drop down menu.
Melody is played using selected notes. Rhythm is played using notes and also checked notes (even if they are empty "-" )
AUTO COMPOSER feature select notes from chosen scale for these positions where the checkboxes are checked.
You can adjust AUTO COMPOSER settings in app settings for both basic and advanced composer.
The app manual - http://www.gyokovsolutions.com/manuals/melodyengineer_manual.php
- 12 new Blues styles are now available as a one time In-App purchase
- Each Blues style comes with guitar, keyboard, bass and drums tracks
Improvements to audio
- Change tempo during playback
- Change instrument sounds during playback (Except drums)
- Exporting audio is now very fast
- Added two new electric guitars
This is a little bit of old news but never saw it for one reason or another. It is an app for sequencing and composing with a whole lot of functions to help with all kinds theoretical issues. Have not explored it yet but it sure looks interesting. There is also a free PC version that can use VSTi's.
If you try it please leave your impressions in the comments section.
To read more in-depth about it and get the PC version go here:
Helio is a cross-platform lightweight music speed-painting tool. It features linear-based sequencer with clean UI, integrated version control and more.
Have not delved deeper into this but it looks like it could be one of the better composition tools on Android. It is using the General Midi instruments in your device but can export the midi for later use in other apps/software. Also interesting that they forego the pianoroll and use a more up to down tracker stylelee for composing. Made for easy re-harmonising and other handy tools for faster composing. Maybe a slight learning curve as it comes with more deeper functions than other midi sequencers but should be learnt in an hour or so without too much hassle.
Comes with in-app purchase...
Google play link:
Google Play info:
Create your own music and songs and play with a multi-track MIDI sequencer.
Turn your ideas into full songs; write and modify sections, chords, notes, and drum hits, quickly and productively.
Immerse yourself in your music, make a song and play with more than one hundred instruments.
It combines several tools to let you quickly shape your songs while exploring different ideas.
For example you can try out different harmonies of a song section: write it once and hear how it sounds when played in different chord progressions, with the one-of-its kind feature of automatic harmonic transposition.
It includes a step sequencer for drum hits, a piano roll editor for detailed note editing, a rhythm editor to try out different rhythm alternatives. Plus, organize your song into sections and modify and repeat them at will. You will be amazed how fast, easy and fun writing music can be with this app.
The sounds are produced by the MIDI synthesizer of your device, so you can choose among all the 128 instruments specified by the General MIDI standard, which include many types of guitars, basses, pianos, brasses, strings, pads, synthesizers, percussion, woods and some effects.FEATURES
- Multi-track sequencer;
- 6 different editors;
- 128 instruments;
- Mixer to program each track's instrument and volume, and to mute/solo the tracks;
- Automatic Harmonic Transposition: lets you apply different chord progressions to the music you are writing, so as to choose whatever sounds best;
- Playing range selection;
- Save and reuse groups of bars and chord progressions in other songs and/or tracks;
- Quickly copy and modify a section or an entire song;
- Automatic saving at each modification of your composition;
- Export to MIDI format: you can import the .mid file generated to your preferred DAW and take it to the next level, with further sound processing;
- Export all your songs, groups of bars, and chord progressions into the external memory of your device, so you can import all your library to another device, or make a backup copy of your work;
- Import from the external memory (what you have previously exported);
- In-depth integrated user manual, with everything explained.
- Song Section Editor: to organize the sections (verses, choruses, etc.);
- Chords Editor: to write chord progressions;
- Tracks Editor: to organize the bars of the multi-track sequencer;
- Notes Editor: to write notes into the tracks;
- Drums Editor: step sequencer for percussive sounds;
- Rhythm Editor: to write chords based on rhythm;
WHAT THIS APP IS:
- Simply put: it's a tool to write and make music (your own music!) and we think it's quite good at it!
- It assists your music-writing creative process, from initial ideas to complete songs;
- You can use it for any type of music compositions, and it's particularly suited to songs;
- You can use it alone, or in combination with a DAW: first write a multi-track MIDI file, then import it in your DAW to apply audio effects and do more elaborate mixing;
- The benefits of using this app relative to another music editor is that it does things from the music composer point of view, rather than the sound/mixing engineer;
WHAT THIS APP IS NOT:
- It's not a tool to automatically generate music from loops or algorithms, you are regarded as a music composer, not just a user;
- It's not a one-fit-all tool: it excels in the creative, music-writing part of your work.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM THIS APP:
- Musicians, songwriters, composers, anyone who enjoys writing, composing and making music.
You don't need to be a professional musician to use this app, but it's better if you know at least the basics of music theory (but don't worry if you don't because this app can be an invaluable learning tool for you).
This free version is fully functional so you can make a full evaluation. Only saving and import/export are disabled.
Finally, it's an app written by musicians for musicians!
A new application from the same developer that made "Piano Chords, Scales Companion" that I end up using fairly often (mostly for reverse engineering scales). It is kind of a band in the box app and as many new apps nowadays it comes with a collaborative function built in.
For free with in-app purchases...
Google Play info:
Songtive is a songwriting tool, band and social network for musicians of all levels. Songtive allows you to compose, experiment with arrangements for songs provided by the Songtive community or songs you have created yourself. It helps you to organize your favorite songs and chord charts, and to share them with your friends.
It's easy to use other users’ styles or drumsets for your own songs. Just choose your style (or styles) and Songtive will do the rest. For greater flexibility, you can create drumsets and attach them to your song, with different drumsets and styles for intro, outro, and the start/end of particular sections.
Choosing a style does not restrict you to one instrument. You can create styles to play flute for only the root note of song chords, adding another style to play arpeggiated chord.
Song Editor helps you to quickly find chords and set alternative names for them. If you don't see the correct alternative chord name, just send us your request and we'll add it at the next update.You can use Songitve for lots of different ways - you can practice a song with the help of guitar & piano chords. You can create arrangements and use it as electronic accompany band or just use Songtive to compose a unique ringtone by exporting your composed music/songs as MP3 files.
See our video tutorials to better understand Songtive’s flexibility: http://bit.ly/1rSCTT7
• You can create, compose, accompany your own song/music and attach custom styles/drumsets. Songtive will do the rest
• Unlimited number of styles/drumsets
• Unlimited ways to use custom accompaniment created by you
• Wide set of instruments including: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Viola, Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Cello and others
• Convert your song, plus accompaniment, to MIDI/MP3 file or to use it as ringtone.
• Store your songs in Songtive cloud
• Songtive has read-only web access, allowing you to share your song/music with friends using Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or use the embed mode to embed it into your blog
• Flexible mixer to allow mute, solo or specific styles/drumsets in your song
• Share your records via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
• Change tempo, key signature, time signature, keys and instruments
• Guitar chords
• Piano chords
Enjoy, and stay tuned for more updates. This is only the beginning!
Follow us on
It is very easy to use and what it does is randomizing a beat for you and you can see the rhythm laid out in notation. This you can change around with accents and changing the drums around plus more settings to adjust things to your liking.
This is excellent if you have a hard time programming drums as you can just copy the rhythm patterns in your sequencer when there is something that sounds good.
As a bonus learning how to program rhythms just by copying the patterns would get fixed in your minds eye for future use.
Not to talk about using it for practicing instruments or to learn drums, hey there is even hand / foot and accent notation.
But there is one glaring omission and that is that it can only play one drum sound at a time...
So for the hi-hat patterns it is still necessary to think a little bit for yourself, the same with the kick and snare... and there is no time signatures except 4/4.
There is bpm though and it can still be of help as it can make the ground work easier for non players. Hopefully it will be expanded upon as for me it could be a lot of help rhythmically.
For free and it is supposed to be publicity but there has been none on my device.
Play Store link:
Have been taking a look at this application and even though I do not play the piano see it as something that can be most useful when it comes to composing with any kind of piano sequencer.
You can try out chord progressions in countless ways and if you want export to midi.
One thing that I found captivating was the possibility to choose a scale and it lists all the chords that can be played using that scale... This must be one of the easiest way to compose, to have an impressive array of chords or to find some more exotic chords knowing that they will go with your melody you have made.
You could just sit with it open on your device while you work with another device or computer.
In general it has a lot of use and there is videos to look at to find out if it is something you would be
Please, pretty please make a donation to
Musical android You can do it! It will feel amazing afterwards!!!