Yes what is happening here is that Android now has its first professional sample instrument that can load and make velocity layered instruments plus that it can load SFZ instruments as well. Which is great as SFZ instruments can be made with a variety of editors on a desktop instead of making instruments directly on the device.
For now regarding SFZ it supports:
- Keyboard Range (lokey, hikey)
- Velocity Range (lovel, hivel)
- Root key
- Loop/Play Mode
- Sample Panorama
- Amp Envelope (ADSR)
Which is great and the developer is looking into getting even more SFZ functions into the VA-Beast.
So fantastic that there is full on sampler on Android now but it is just the start as the instruments or samples or loops that can be fed to the sample engine which is inside the VA-Beast, meaning that all the envelopes, filters and effects can be used to twist the sound!
And the Synthesizer comes with two oscillators that can be used as samplers or in other combinations (plus frequency modulation).
One of the first things I did was using the piano sample instrument (that comes included) in combination with a saw oscillator and getting very interesting results.
Also had a lot of fun panning oscillator to oscillator to get synthesized sounds and organic sampled sounds mixed up in different ways.
One thing of note that have a lso been included is to be able to set up direct mass modulation that will be very interesting to see how people take advantage of.
Could speak a lot more about this and this I will for sure in future posts as I am starting to get a little collection of interesting instruments made that wants to be shared.
Hopefully there will be time for some tutorials as well.
Highly recommendable to get either G-Stomper Studio or just the Synthesizer/Sampler separate as it is one of the best apps that can be had for Android. Maybe the only thing to be aware of is that a more or less capable device is needed but there is demo to try if you are not sure.
G-Stomper is growing constantly and I am surprised each time!
Here is the Official update information:
This major release brings the long awaited Multi-Sample based Synthesis to the VA-Beast Synthesizer: Multi-Sampled Instruments per Oscillator, unlimited Velocity Layers, FM between sampled Instruments and regular Waveforms, SFZ Import and much more. Furthermore, the On-Screen Keyboard got a new control set, a Pitch Wheel (now with free assignable pitch range), a Modulation Wheel (powered by a free assignable morph group) and a Sustain Pedal.
G-Stomper Studio 5.0 Release Notes:
- New Multi-Sample based Synthesis for the VA-Beast Synthesizer (tap through the OSC waveforms until you reach PCM)
- New SFZ Preset Importer, which lets you load .wav and .aif based SFZ files (Main Menu / IMP / VA Generic Preset (.sfz)
- New free assignable Morph Group + onscreen Mod Wheel control on the Piano KB
- New controls to customize the KB Pitch Wheel range (up/down independent, 0-24 semi tones)
- New Sustain Pedal onscreen control on the Piano KB (multi-mode: Momentary, Toggle, Continuous)
- 41 new PCM based, multi sampled Presets (Main Menu / LOAD / VA Factory Preset / PCM Based Presets)
- Overall improved VA Factory Presets
- Upgraded the complete Synthesizer core to Stereo
- Fixed the velocity (absence) bug in the VA-Beast arpeggiator
- Fixed the incomplete automation parameter selection of the VA-Beast Synth (filter2 + unison)
- Added once extra voice per synth instance to avoid “hard cutting” when running out of voices
- Fixed a memory leak in the Sample Pool
- Fixed various minor bugs in the sample loader + persistency handling
- Fixed a bug in the wav reader which prevented some rare bastardized header formats from working
- Improved Sampler performance
- Fixed a bug in the MIDI driver for MIDI interfaces with multiple interfaces pointing to the same usb endpoint
- Fixed a crash bug in the MIDI device connector which forced the app to close in some rare situations (special thanks to Jesse for the report)
- Fixed a bug in the RPN/NRPN input listener which prevented RPN/NRPN messages from working with multiple virtual interfaces
- Memory Optimization for low powered devices
- Improved FX Performance
- New High Performance Stereo Filters
- 56 new class-A Stereo Samples + 3 ready-to-use Sound Sets provided by Function Loops
- New Demo Song
- 4 Vocal Samples and 1 Guitar Sample had to be removed from the Factory Sounds (sorry for that)
- Fixed a Google Play Services incompatibility issue
- Removed the support for the G-Stomper 1.0 XML based file formats
- Simplified Content Selection in the Data Copy Framework (boxed content selection)
- Fixed a bug which forced the menu tabs to be in white color on some devices