Have not tried it tough...
but it will be in the back of my head when I need some non western flavor!
Google Play info:
Gender Wayang is a 10-key metallophone, coming in pairs, most be doubled from an other pair one octave higher, tuned in Slendro scale. As Gender Wayang is played with two panggul (mallets) - other than the Gangsa in Gong Kebyar - two player together play the melody (left hand) and the interlocking parts kotekan (right hand) as a complete „mini“ Gamelan.Gamelan Gender is intended as a practicing tool. Play the polos part, while Gamelan Gender plays the sangsih, loop parts to memorize, generate your own songs as midi file in a sequencing program, import it into Gamelan Gender. Its keys can be tuned, to match your real instruments - this is important, as every set of Gender Wayang has its own tuning.
Comes with 8 original songs (gending) and a Gender Wayang and a Gangsa Pelog tuning.
• MIDI file player
• Animated keys for „traditional" learning
• Sound bank sampled from real instruments
• Keys assignable to midi notes (adjust to your MIDI file)
• Tune it to your real instruments
• Mathematical tuning system, only 5 keys have to be defined
• Calculated tuning can be overwritten, and each of the 40 keys frequency can be defined
• Loop parts for practicing, increase/decrease tempo on every re-loop
• Set proportional tempo changes for different parts...
• Change tuning to pelog scale and use it for Gong Kebyar practicing as well, create your own 10 key tunings....