Hard to say how much something like this would be used in the end and feel that it could be a great thing or just something that is disappointing or collecting dust. Guess that live anything that make electronic music performance more visual is a plus!
Here is some info from the Kickstarter page:
- Create music in any style, sound or instrument with a device that connects to your smart device or computer wirelessly over Bluetooth.
- Use GripBeats® in multiple ways; as an extended controller for each hand, the wrist, or even on a flat surface.
- Our patent-pending adaptable multi-instrument design makes use of 3-dimensional space, acceleration, and direction for making music.
- Make use of your hands' motion and touch controls with over 100s of apps like Garageband or Ableton using BLE MIDI (100% wireless).
- The GripBeats® App (iOS/Android) allows growing gestures-to-music configurations and lessons on how to play music virtually, through movement.
- Design new instruments and configurations for making music in your own way as well as with over a dozen preconfigured modes in the GripBeats® App.
- A collaboration of designers and engineers by musicians from the Royal Academy of Music in London and The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
To read some more: