Have not tried it yet but it seems to me that it is like a very powerful SPC Music sketchpad.
Plus instruments and more/better effects etc.
One difference though is that SPC works on older devices and Stagelight demands a modern strong device to work good.
Have read and heard good things about it so it could be worth to check out the demo.
Play Store info:
Stagelight is the easiest and best way to create, share and play with music on Android tablets. Stagelight is packed full of music creation tools, step-by-step lessons, and an in-app store to suit every musical genre.
****Stagelight is free to download and demo on your device. Saving and Sharing is disabled until a Stagelight for Android License is purchased from our in-app store.****
From the basics of building your first beat, to learning how to record instruments, Stagelight’s SongBuilder lessons will help you learn how to make music quickly.
A loop-style production feature that allows you to mash up and record your favorite performances all with a single touch.
Access hundreds of free loops from our Loop Browser. Expand to thousands of loops covering multiple genres in the Stagelight in-app Store.
Record, arrange and edit your songs in Timeline Mode using our easy editing tools and advanced features such as automation.
Record audio using your tablet's built-in microphone or Class Compliant USB Audio device when running a supported Android 5.0+ device.
The piano that can't play wrong notes. Key Lock allows you to maintain the proper key of your song without ever hitting a bad note.
Built-in Instruments including:
- Integrated Drum Machine with Step Sequencer
- AutoFill: Simply swipe to create simple beats
- Built-in Drum Editor controls and affects your drum sounds
- Add your own drum samples
- Build your own kits
5 keyboard instruments with unlockable features:
New instrument for 2.2 via in-app purchase:
9 included studio quality effects:
5 additional effects via in-app purchase:
Stagelight's in-app store allows you to browse, audition and purchase professional loops, exclusive bundles and other advanced features to add to your Stagelight sound library. This is where you will find exclusive content from our partners Timbaland and Linkin Park.
Stagelight 2.2 provides social sharing by connecting you directly to Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Tumblr and email via SoundCloud.
Projects created in Stagelight for Android can be imported into Stagelight for Windows. Go to www.openlabs.com to purchase or download a free trial.
Minimum device specs are:
* Dual-Core CPU
* 1024 x 768 resolution screen
* 1GB RAM
* 300MB of free space
* Android 4.4+
Recommended device specs are:
* Quad-Core CPU
* 2GB RAM or more
General usage tips:
- Music creation apps consume significant CPU and Memory. We highly recommend that you close out of all other applications while using Stagelight.
- Recording Audio?: Be sure to calibrate your device to compensate for audio recording latency by following the steps below:
1) Start Stagelight and press the Menu button on the Home Screen.
2) Select "Calibrate Recording" to display the Audio Latency Tester.
3) Make sure your speakers are turned up and that you do not have headphones plugged in.
4) Press the "Run Calibration" button. You will hear 8 long beeps which will calculate the latency of your device.
5) Press OK to close the Audio Latency Tester. You are now ready to record.
Need more support?
Check out our forums here... http://forums.openlabs.com/
Go to http://support.openlabs.com/ and submit a ticket. We're here to help!